In keeping with the celebration, Maam Noreen and I went to the Island Garden City of Samal to support the island of their goal of a rabies free zone. As of 2010, Apo Island of Negros Oriental, Batanes Islands and Siquijor are the rabies free declared places in the country. Samal is on their third year with rabies free mortality. A series of lectures were done attended by the different sectors of the government. Below are some facts regarding rabies:
1. Rabies is 100% fatal but 100% preventable
2. Rabies multiplies in your muscle then run through your nerves, the brain as their end point. When bitten , there is no need to induce bleeding.
3. Rabies is a weak virus but not a Dumb one.
4. Rabies is sensitive to light and heat and can be killed by the act of washing of soap and running water.
5. The effect of the virus on the body depends on the virus load. The bigger the bite, the higher the chances of increase number of virus in the wound site.
6. It is important to sought consult after the bite has transpired. Tandok is not recommended.
7. Vaccines are given depending on the categorization of the wound. It is important to tell your Doctor what transpired during the event.
8. Usually a rabid dog will die 2-3 days after the biting incident.
9. The median time for rabies to manifests in humans is between two to three months.
10. Dogs remain the carrier of the virus, next is our friendly cat. Warm blooded animals too such as your livestock may have rabies. Some of the rabies free animals are fowls, fish, snakes, rodents.
11. It is important to observe the biting animal for 14 days. If the animal is alive and well after the observation, most likely the pet is rabies free.
12. Get your pet his yearly vaccination as well. Ask your LGU in your area.
|durian after work|
|lets party party|
|business as usual|
|Grade 1 section Z|